Chocolate is Toxic for Furkids

It is a known fact that chocolate and your fur kids do not go well together, it is toxic and dangerous to them due to a stimulant that exist in cocoa called theobromine.

Theobromine mainly attacks the heart, nervous system and also kidneys. The symptoms of chocolates poisoning varies from the amount of consumed and the type of chocolate taken.

The most common signs of poisoning include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Panting
  • Racing heart rate
  • Occasional seizures
  • Rapid breathing. 

It is crucial to bring your dog for a check up immediately at the vet when any chocolate is consumed, as treating it early and removing it fast from their system will bring less risk to your fur kids.

Treatments for theobromine poisoning 

Your dog should be sent to the veterinary straight-away if this happens, and a phone call should be made to your veterinarian to get some instructions on what to do.  It is common if your veterinarian instructs you to induce vomiting and control any seizures if it ever occurs.  In the mean time, it is crucial to keep your pet cool, calm and in a quiet space.

Although consuming a small amount of chocolate might not harm your pet, it is important to watch over them. If a vet is not immediately available, induce vomiting and give multiple doses of activated charcoal to decontaminate. Luckily now there are 24-hour emergency services for pets.

 

If you live in Brisbane, Contact PET EMERGENCY

Call: 3359 5333          Address: 263 Appleby Rd Stafford Heights OR

Call: 3384 2233          Address: 53 Flinders Pde North Lakes

If you live in Perth, Contact PERTH VET EMERGENCY

Call: 1300 040 400   Address: 3/162 Wanneroo Rd Yokine WA 6060

 

 

Related posts

Leave a Comment